Wednesday, January 30, 2013

THE BIGGEST LOSER CHALLENGE

Confession: I was beginning to feel like I was the worst dieter ever!!!

<<<Rewind<<<

I posted my first blog weight in of 182.0 lbs on 10-18-12 and followed it up the next week with 180.4 lbs on 10-25-12. Not SO bad.

Then, I fell off the face of the earth for a couple months. Nice.

Faced the scale on 12-27-12 and 184.4 lbs looked back at me! WHOA NELLY! THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

OK OK, back at it 1-3-13 where I laid out some goals and weighed in at 182.8 lbs. I buckled down, stared the year strong, and weighed in at 181.2 lbs on 1-10-13. I had busted butt for those 1.6 lbs (honestly, in my head I know that's a great loss) but I wanted more and I was pissed. I have seen several people move the scale 5+ lbs their first week trying really hard.

So....I fell off the wagon for a couple more weeks while I pouted like a big baby.

<<<NOW>>>

The truth is I know how this weight loss thing works. I dropped 20 + pounds in college on Weight Watchers (yes, I gained it all back and some more). I know it doesn't happen over night, it is not easy, I can't compare now to then, and I can't compare myself to others. Blah, Blah, Blah...

I have just been LAZY, SELFISH, and UNACCOUNTABLE.

My Slap in the Face

On Monday, January 14th Mr. You Betcha was at a Fire Meeting and I was at home sitting on the couch watching The Biggest Loser (honestly, for the first time ever). I found myself really admiring and rooting for Danni & Pam because they were on their own and ROCKIN' IT. When they won the challenge with the fastest 5K time I broke down and cried.

The Biggest Loser
Lisa and I have participated in one 5K (so far) and crossing that finish line was the BEST FEELING EVER! When Danni & Pam finished I couldn't help but feeling that same rush of emotions all over again.


About 2 minutes later I text Lisa to ask her if she remembered how slow fast our time was? 10 minutes spent searching the Facebook archives and she came up with 41 min 10 sec.

BACK THE TRUCK UP! The Biggest Loser girls just cut almost 5 minutes off my freakin' time weighing about 40+ lbs more then I did in September when we ran/jogged/walked/crawled it!

What do they have that I don't!?!
 

My Answer: SUPPORT OF PEOPLE FIGHTING THE SAME BATTLE!!!

THE BIGGEST LOSER CHALLENGE

I instantly hit my Facebook friends with this message: Friends/family anyone interested in a local biggest loser (on a small scale) challenge & support group? Self organized and focused on achieving your goals.

By 6:00 a.m. Tuesday morning I had 4 people who had contacted me that were interested in participating. Over the next couple days we hammered out the details of The Biggest Loser Challenge and each of us advertised it to our friends. A few more joined us so we have a total of 7 participating and our first weight in was on Thursday, January 24th.

My Biggest Loser Challenge Starting Weight
183.2 lbs - 1/24/13
*I will still be calling 182.0 lbs my
starting weight for blogging purposes.
SO...UP 2.0 lbs Since Last Weigh In
UP 1.2 lbs TOTAL
All of our weigh ins are going to be virtual by text message and to start with the pot is $140 ($20 each). There will be a penalty fee of $1 applied if someone's weight stays the same. There will be a penalty fee of $1 if someone misses weighing in. There will be a penalty fee of $1 added for each pound a person gains. (i.e. Gain 3 pounds, you owe $3) The winner will be the person who loses the largest percentage of body weight.

Nothing like putting a $$$ incentive on weight loss.

Honestly, the $$$ is a sweet incentive but it isn't anything compared to the levels of encouragement and support we have been providing each other. We have a private Facebook Group where we post photos for inspiration, recipe ideas, and jokes to keep it fun. On My Fitness Pal most of us are "Friends" and it is damn hard not to "complete your food and exercise diary under your calorie goal" when they are all doing it. Weight loss peer pressure baby! LOVE IT!

I AM FINALLY FINDING MY STRIDE!


Tomorrow will be our Week 1 Weigh In & Thursday Tale from the Scale and I PROMISE to post!

2 comments:

  1. i am right there with you Kates! it is hard and a literal pain in the ass, but we can do it. we just have to remember that we are capable of it and of course, that Faturday only happens on one day during the week.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha love that pic with the hound, I think I used it once too, so true. AND I LOVE DANI on BL like I absolutely cry with her when she does good at a weigh in and I'd cry if she left. I get so inspired by her I always watch the whole episode walking on my tredmill... and crying its all good haha!

    ReplyDelete